As the plane touched down in Buenos Aires, I realized that this is the first time I have crossed the equator! So far this hemisphere has been a blast. Buenos Aires is a large city that actually reminds me a bit of Taipei. It is crowded, dirty, and the sidewalks are broken and uneven. There are all types of stores stuffed into small spaces, barred Kioscos that sell snacks and drinks, buses galore, and people, masses of people walking the streets. I am staying in a quaint hostel that spoils me with a balcony and rooftop where Natalie and I have taken our breakfast every morning.
The weather has been beautiful. Natie, aka Natalie, and I have explored most of Buenos Aires. Palermo is the Soho of BA with cute shops and restaurants. La Boca, famous for its colorful buildings, is quaint but obviously for tourists as the slums can be seen just beyond the neighborhood. I took a tango class and hope to master the sensual dance when I return. We toured Recoleta Cementary, which has 4,800+ mausoleums, including the one Eva Peron is buried. It is kind of like a small town with big´mansions, chapels, small houses, and abandoned ones too. Today we took a 2 hour bus ride out to San Antonio de Areco to take part in a festival celebrating the gaucho culture. We got soaked in rain but not before getting a tour of the quaint town, horses, gauchos, and taking part in the town bbq. THe nightlife has been grand as well. These people don´t go out until 2am in the morning and return around 8am!
The people have been very kind to us and seem to lead happy lives. Everywhere we have gone someone seems to be very curious about where we are from and what we are doing here. They are very liberal with suggestions for where we should go. Argentines are very proud of their country. For them, nothing is a big deal; life is good. We´ve made some fast, though temporary, friends who have made our stay here warm and full of laughs.
No comments:
Post a Comment